Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It'll Never Wash Out

The Perfect Easter Dress
Ashleigh read my first blog and made the comment that it was good but it was boring because it was all stuff she already knew. I told her that's ok because tomorrow it's all about you. One of my most memorable Ashleigh moments took place at a praise and worship service on a Sunday evening. She didn't like the kids program and wanted to stay with us. What she really wanted was to stay at home. She passed me a note that turned my somber singing into embarrassing laughter. On a small scrap of paper she had written the words "I HAT YOU". Apparently she hadn't yet learned the power of the silent "E". This is similar in nature to the time she had written a note stating that her sister is "STOOPED". In her mind she had called her sister stupid. In actuality she had commented about her sister not standing up straight. Ashleigh is a local celebrity. This is a little known fact. If you visit Rick's Rib House in Van Buren say hi from mello yello. Every time we would eat there she would order mello yello to drink. What restaurant besides this one sells mello yello instead of Mountain Dew???? It became her nickname. Another memory I have of Ashleigh is the time we spent days finding the perfect Easter dress for her only to have her sleep through the entire Easter service. The pastor asked if she had a good nap as we were leaving. Since she was even snoring I believe she felt quite rested. As we were leaving the church one night she started crying. She had spilled her communion grape juice on her white shorts. She was upset because her shorts were brand new. I told her I'd wash them and it would be okay. She kept crying and said, "No, the pastor said blood is permanent." Yes, Ashleigh, the blood of Jesus is permanent and I have never forgotten that even though you pass me notes, nod off and snore and act like you think I'm crazy that you are a beautiful young woman who is listening and absorbing what we live. I hope someday you can blog happy memories about your crazy Aunt Rhonda but please wait until you're no longer a teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment